Caring counseling for children.
Child & Family Counseling
Are you concerned with some of your child’s behaviors? Does your child have difficulty managing strong emotions? Does your child struggle with behavior tantrums, social situations, or following the rules? Do you have a child who struggles to get along with their siblings or peers?
All children are different. Just as children have different strengths, they also differ in their personalities, abilities and learning styles. It can be challenging as a parent to realize that certain parenting techniques that may have worked well with one child are not working so well with another.
We can help….
The therapists at Greenwood Counseling Center specialize in child counseling, family counseling and parenting coaching. At Greenwood Counseling Center we know that children are innately good and do the best they can with the skills they have. Child counseling is often needed when a child is lacking a particular skill to successfully navigate the tasks and challenges of daily life. In other cases, family counseling or parenting coaching may be the most helpful in helping you to reclaim harmony in your family.
Utilizing Play Therapy and EMDR Therapy
The therapists at Greenwood Counseling Center use a variety of approaches when providing child counseling services. Our therapists consider what will work best for each unique child, but among the approaches used, often incorporate either play therapy or art therapy as an avenue for effectively helping elementary school aged children, and may also utilize EMDR therapy if addressing anxiety or trauma. As experts in EMDR therapy, we often integrate Play Therapy and EMDR Therapy together so that the child can sort through trauma but do it in a way that is engaging and expressive (and fun.) Children process things differently than adults and as a result, the therapy needs to be fun for them and keep them engaged.
Does your child struggle with any of the following:
- Difficulty maintaining focus?
- Difficulty considering the outcomes or consequences of their actions (impulsivity)?
- Difficulty expressing their thoughts, needs, or wants in words?
- Difficulty managing their emotional response to frustration?
- Difficulty attending to, or accurately interpreting social cues?
- Difficulty solving problems or considering a wide range of solutions to any given problem?
- Chronic irritability or anxiety?
- Difficultly seeking attention in appropriate ways?
- Difficulty empathizing with others?
- Difficulty connecting with peers, starting conversations, or entering into groups?
- Inflexible, inaccurate interpretations of events (cognitive distortions), such as “It’s not fair,” or “Everyone is out to get me?”
Call (303) 221-1272 for a 15 minute free initial phone consultation. You may also email us to schedule a time to talk over the phone. We are happy to answer any questions you may have so that you can feel confident starting your path to healing.